Effective entrepreneurship results in the creation of a profitable business. It leads to assembling and coordinating physical, human and financial resources, and applying managerial skills to make a success of the venture. Transforming creative thinking into providing customers with products and services that they truly want, coupled with customer service excellence and sustained customer satisfaction, will be achieved. Advanced knowledge and skills are gained about exploring and developing business opportunities, devising a business plan and testing the business viability before launching the new venture.
Technology-Enhanced Distance Learning
Every Month except December and January
Online lectures of each topic
8 Weeks on a part-time (online) basis
Technology-Enhanced Distance Learning
All short courses are completed individually through technology-enhanced distance learning. You do not need to attend any classes. You have access to your lecture videos and other material on a weekly basis, and all your assignments are submitted online.
The fee is R 7, 900.00, which includes your online study material. Persons based outside South Africa can pay in US Dollars, Euros or GB Pounds. Payment of fees must be effected before access to the course.
Short courses are available internationally. A new cycle of short courses starts every first Monday of each month from February to November.
After completing this short course you will be able to:
- Recognise the vital role of entrepreneurship and its value within the economic environment, and in particular the correct application of entrepreneurial features for generating business ideas, with the aim of meeting society’s needs and satisfying the business purpose.
- Discuss key motivating factors for setting up a business, and be aware of reasons why entrepreneurs fail in their attempt to establish a new venture.
- Analyse and reflect on the process to identify workable business ideas for successful implementation, in relation to business requirements and constraints, and to optimise resource allocation and business performance.
- Conduct environmental research for business viability to compare business purpose and stakeholder’s requirements, to meet challenges in both internal and external business environments.
- Explain the significance of an entrepreneurship strategy in relation to business objectives, for the purpose of planning, implementing, managing, reviewing and improving business performance.
- Identify and explain the Entrepreneurial Life Cycle, in particular for the purpose of following a structured approach to proactive decision making and problem solving, mitigating risk and increasing business value.
- Understand the principles and purpose of a business plan, which indicate how to address the business activities to exploit the business opportunities best.
- Identify and compile a suitable business model that best aligns with the business plan, reflecting the value creation for customers and the efficiency of the business venture in creating value for customers.
- Evaluate the legal requirements necessary to establish a business, in relation to the factors to be considered when choosing the appropriate business format.
- Assess the factors that play a role in choosing a business location with the aim of optimising business process efficiency.
- Define the essential operating elements of the business functions and the scope of the operational start-up process before the business is launched into the operating environment.
Assessment and Awarding of Certificates
You will complete weekly online exercise assignments that combine to yield your final mark. The questions may involve multiple choice, a brief discussion of an important issue, or solving a short case study. Your final course mark will be based on the average of the weekly scores achieved. The final pass mark is 50%. A certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the course. Should you achieve a distinction (75% or higher), this will be so indicated on your certificate.
The course is open to anyone who is basically proficient in English and has internet access.
What past students say about our courses
The MCom programme at Cranefield has fundamentally changed my outlook and made my service delivery and strategic focus more nuanced. The modules are the best strategic and business learning I have undertaken, vastly overtaking my previous studies both within and outside South Africa. I highly recommend Cranefield for every senior government official.
Senior Manager: Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services SETA
I have definitely benefitted from my experience with Cranefield. When I completed the Post Graduate Diploma in Project Management, I was a Project Manager at a bank. The course matter delivered by Prof Steyn and his colleagues equipped me with the knowledge and confidence to move across industries and I am now privileged to be the Operations Director of an organization which is leader in transport infrastructure.